Pete's Dragon

September 01, 2016

"Pete's Dragon was such a delightful and heart-warming movie, that will leave you wanting to have a pet dragon of your own."


I had no idea that this movie already existed since 1977 and what I have just watched was just a remake. And as I did some research on it, I learned that a lot, may be it be the characters and storyline, were pretty much different from each other. Nevertheless, I was glad I did finally see it.

I love how the movie can be both adult- and child-appropriate in the sense that it showed both what the real world can be and the magical world we've always wanted. It showed the cruel reality of how people can be so selfish for their own gain that they've got no regards whether they hurt others along the way. An inevitable trait that makes me want to be ashamed to be one of the humanity. A subtle message was also shown (or as what I have perceived) on the devastating effects of deforestation to the creatures living in it.

For my love of everything that is fluffy, Elliot the dragon was the best part. The portrayal made with the dragon was so charming that anyone could fell in love with him at first sight. I, for one thing, got captivated by its cuteness and goofiness that I left the theater wanting to have my very own Elliot! He kinda reminded me of Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon. Though, ditch everything you knew about dragons like scaly skin, piercing eyes, razor-sharp teeth and the general appearance of a ferocious beast. Instead, you'll get a fluffy, green-furred, wide-eyed dragon that can turn invisible on cue. He was more of like a gigantic green dog having a short snout with a one broken fang and huge flying wings, ever playful with his human.

Not that I want to spoil you or anything, just want to give you some idea on how the story goes. The story revolves around a very unlikely friendship of a human and a magical creature, a dragon. It started when Pete and his parents got into a car accident in the middle of a forest, where he was the only one to survive. As he struggled in his first few hours in the forest alone, he met this very fuzzy, green-furred dragon which he later called as Elliot. Elliot has become Pete's very own guardian angel, protecting and caring for him from the wilderness of the forest. Then six years later, as the loggers threatened to destroy the home that these best friends have, Pete was found by a forest ranger, Grace, who was very adamant on finding Pete's family. Soon enough, she, together with her daughter, Natalie, and father, Mr. Meacham, who has claimed to have seen the dragon before, was introduced to Elliot. Grace's family was very accepting with Elliot but the community people were not. It was then that Pete had to return the favor to his best friend and protect him from the harm these people impose.

**Photos used are not mine. Credits to owner.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the ending. I heard that this resembles The Jungle Book movie, though I still have yet to watch that movie. Anyway, the movie is so charming and alluring that only a cold-hearted person won't get captivated by it.

Go and catch yourself a ticket for this movie now, and the almost 2 hours you'll spend watching it is worth it.


------------------------------------
I don't really know how to do a movie review, so pardon me if this doesn't count as one. This is just my platform to express the thoughts and feelings I had with the movie.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments