TryCook 101: Gimbap

September 04, 2015

I have always wanted to make myself be the next Master Chef PH (like that will ever happen. Hahahah!). Or maybe I got a bit overboard back there, just to be simple home cook would be enough. You see, cooking is a bit of an alien for me. I love watching every cooking shows I stumbled upon but I actually don't know how to cook. I'm already 23 years old and still, my parents always do all the cooking around here.  I might actually starve myself to death without them. Such a mockery, I know! Wait, wait... I know how to fry! That still counts, right? Hahaha! Anyway, you already know that I'm a newbie, so I will then start off with the easiest recipe that I found on the internet - making a Gimbap.


FACTS: Gimbap or Kimbap is a popular Korean dish made from steamed white rice (bap) and various other ingredients, rolled in gim (sheets of dried laver seaweed) and served in bite-size slices. Gimbap is often eaten during picnics or outdoor events, or as a light lunch, served with danmuji (pickled radish) or kimchi.


You will need:



  • 1-2 cups of warm, cooked rice
  • rice vinegar
  • eggs
  • 6 bacon strips
  • meatloaf
  • cheese
  • carrots
  • 2 sheets of roasted seaweed
  • salt
  • sugar
  • sesame seeds
  • sushi rolling mat
*I don't have the actual measurements of each ingredients, I just made an approximation on how I like my Gimbap to taste.


Instructions:
1. Cook the omelette. Crack 2 eggs in a bowl and add a pinch of salt and black pepper. Beat the eggs with fork. Preheat the pan with a drizzle of oil. Turn down the heat level to low before pouring the egg mixture into the pan. Pour and spread it so that it fills the pan. Cook until all the eggs are fully cooked. Let it cool on the side.

2. Slice everything into strips. Cut the carrots, cheese, meatloaf and omelette into strips. Cut it into your preferred size.

3. Cook all the meat. I cooked the bacon first. (I don't use oil or butter when frying bacon, I prefer using its own fats when cooking.) With the bacon's fatty oil still on the pan, cook the meatloaf. Set aside.

4. Season the rice. In a small bowl, mix the rice with 1 tbsp of rice vinegar, 1 tsp of sugar and a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp of sesame seeds. Gently mix the rice with a spatula, being careful not to squash the rice. Let it cool enough to be touched with bare hands.

5. Place the seaweed sheet on the sushi mat. Start by placing the bamboo sushi mat on a flat surface then position the seaweed sheet on top of it, with the shiny part down the mat.

6. Spread a layer of the rice mixture onto the seaweed sheet. Evenly spread about 3/4 cup of rice mixture over the seaweed, leaving an inch of upper part of the seaweed uncovered.


7. Arrange the fillings on top of the rice. Do not put the fillings on the bottom edge of the rice. Make a space of at least half or an inch, then lay all the fillings. Arrange the fillings in a neat and horizontal way.

8. Roll the Gimbap! Slowly and gently roll the mat from the bottom (the part nearest you). Press down while rolling to push the fillings in. Use firm but gentle pressure to hold the ingredients in place.

9. Continue rolling. Pull the mat up and out as you're rolling forward so that it won't get wrapped in with the Gimbap. Keep pulling up until you form a cylindrical shape. 

10. Seal the roll. Dip your finger in water, and spread a tiny dab along the top uncovered part of the seaweed. Wrap the entire mat around the roll and squeeze gently and firmly.

11. Slice the roll into bite-size pieces. Repeat with all the other ingredients to make the rest of the rolls. Cut the rolls into bite-size pieces with a very sharp, slightly moist knife. I wiped the knife with a damped cloth after each slicing, to make a smoother cut. 

12. Enjoy your Gimbap! Arrange it on your preference and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. I also topped it with some mayonnaise for added taste.


---------------------------------------------

Hey! I know, it's not much for a Master Chef entry, but I actually think it tastes good! So don't judge the food by its look! Hahaha. Ok fine, I need to improve my artistic skills. But admit it, this is not bad for a first timer, right?

You Might Also Like

0 Comments