Solo Traveling

March 08, 2019

I mentioned from my last post(which is months ago, sorry for being a busy-bee) that I will be writing an entry here about my previous travels, which I know is from ages ago. So forgive me, if you find this an ancient one (hahaha. Just being a bit dramatic here).

Last December 2017, I decided to take my first leave from work. If you are not aware, I am working now in Qatar as an operating room nurse. Anyway, I went on an Asian tour, mainly organized by yours truly. I flied to 3 different countries on that 21 days of vacation - Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. For the sake of not making a long post (and probably a boring one), I will be focusing on my Singapore travel first.

Singapore was actually not that foreign to me since I’ve already traveled here before, but the fact that I went there all by myself was something out of the ordinary. Although flying in an overseas country alone was also not new to me, which I first did when I decided to come here in Qatar to look for a better job opportunity; taking on a trip for the main reason of exploring the country was not a thing I normally do. Thus, I added traveling solo to my bucket list, which I already ticked from this trip I’ve had.

I personally recommend tourist to purchase "Singapore Tourist Pass" since it provides unlimted access to their public transportation. I opted to buy the 3-day pass worth 20SGD which I think was really worth it. They do offer a 1-day and 2-day pass also.

All the arrangements were made solely by me, from plane tickets & accommodation to my destinations. I literally made a time schedule for how long I should be staying in one place just so I can maximize my 3 days stay in Singapore. Another thing was, I did everything in a backpacker style. And with that, I only got a bedspace merely for sleeping.


Day 1.
I landed late in the afternoon so I went straight to Vivo City to visit once again the Sentosa Island. Of course, SG trip would not be complete without a photo with the infamous Universal Studios logo. And no, I didn’t went inside because going alone in an amusement park is no fun at all! So, I just spent maybe an hour there, from what I remember, roaming around the 3 islands. I didn’t spent a lot of time here since I already came here before and have already savored the islands (I even tried the Luge ride before!). Check it out here.
You need to get yourself a Sentosa Express Ticket if you wish to access the 4 stops namely, Sentosa, Waterfront, Imbiah and Beach Station.  The ticket costed me 4SGD that time. I'm not sure if the price is still the same by now.

 Waterfront Station
These Candy Trees just right outside the Universal Studios will make wake up your sweet-tooth cravings.

 Getting a good shot of the Universal Logo was a bit of challenge because it is brimming with tourists and not to mention the fact that you need to get the right timing to have the logo name in your photo
A mini Merlion Park that you can visit in Imbiah Station if you're not fond of squeezing your way in to the mob of tourist in the original Merlion Park in One Fullerton.

After that, I went to Haw Par Villa. Admission fee was non-existent here, so there I went! What's a better place to go than some place free, right?. Hahahah! The place was a bit remote in my opinion, but was filled with these wide, diverse Chinese cultures.


There was just this area that kinda bothered me. There were these animal structures made in a way that they were living like humans. And there was even a pig wearing only an underwear! Apparently, as I did my research after visiting seeing these statues, they were in fact depicting different Chinese mythology (my bad for having ridiculous thoughts).



And before ending the day, I checked myself in to a spaceship! Haha! I made a reservation in a a spaceship bed capsule at Met-A-Space-Pod, which was my first. That being said, another bucket list, checked!


Day 2.
I woke up extra early just so I can have a decent picture with the Merlion, which is just a 10 minute walk from my spaceship capsule. Crowd starts to influx later in the day to see and have a photo-op with this notable mythical creature with a Lion's head and a body of a fish.
 


Next destination was the Chinese Gardens. The place was, as the name implies, inhabited by lots of Chinese architectures which were very alluring and refreshing to the eyes. The sun was scorching hot back then so going around here was a bit of struggle for me, with the never-ending drippings of sweat, not to mention the heavy backpack I have. Hahaha!

 I met the "real"Mulan here.


As I've mentioned, I've already visited the country before but during that time, I was not able to experience the country's very well famed Ferris Wheel, Singapore Flyer. And now that I am back, I made sure I squeezed this in to my itinerary.
Before you get to be inside the flyer's capsule, you need to go through this "mini museum" where you get to see a number of modern artworks and some basic facts about Singapore flyer.
It was a good thing the capsule I got into was not crowded. We were only 3 inside thereby, I was able to take heaps of selfies without lots of eyes staring at my vanity.

The ride itself lasted around half an hour which is more than enough to savor your eyes with the magnificent view. I was able to see Singapore's business center in 360 degrees from thousands of feet above. Luckily, I do not have any phobia on heights nor on enclosed spaces because if you do, this joyride will definitely turn into a nightmare.


And finally, I went to the luxurious Marina Bay Shoppes to mark-off another bucketlist of mine which is eating in a Gordon Ramsay Restaurant - Bread Street Kitchen. Bread Street Kitchen is set in an industrial warehouse-designed restaurant and bar serving a British-European menu, and is said to be modeled after its London counterpart. 

"Bread basket with butter that was served while I was waiting for my meal"

"Slow roasted Dingley Dell pork belly, applepurée, whole grain mustard jus"
"Vanilla milkshake with a touch of hazelnut and soft serve ice cream "
"Digestizzy"

 My tummy is happy

I was only able to partially tick-off my bucketlist since what I really wanted is to get a bite of the Beef Wellington which is unfortunately not available at that time. Even though that was the case, I enjoyed every bits of my sumptuous dinner. One more thing, the prices here can be a bit on the higher end, but I think every penny you'll spend here is worth it.

However, I did tasted this when I went back here with my parents last year. Check my 2nd visit at Gordon Ramsay experience here.


Day 3.
It was my last day in Singapore and I spent my morning hiking the Fort Canning Park. Fort Canning is an iconic hilltop landmark that had witnessed many of Singapore’s historical milestones. The hill once sited the palaces of 14th century Kings and served as the Headquarters of the Far East Command Centre and British Army Barracks.

I was actually aiming to get a photo with this marvelous spiral staircase from this park (that I saw from Instagram) but unfortunately missed the shot because a pictorial for a Prenup is ongoing that time. Its not actually a complete failure because I was still able to enjoy the tranquility and nature-experience that this hilltop has to offer.


Being grateful for all the blessings I’ve received that year, I headed straight to Novena Church before I took off to the airport going back to Malaysia.


Before I flew back to Malaysia, I made sure to get myself my all-time favorite from Dunkin Donut -- Choco Butternut. I was actually craving for this for years already 'coz the last time I had a bite on this was I guess, almost a year from the time I had this vacation. Can you imagine that?? I do not really why this kind of donut is not available in any Dunkin Donut outlet here in Qatar. :(


----
PS: Before I officially close this post, here are some of the Asian cuisines that I let myself to  indulged in on this 3 days adventure.

 ----
And that is how my 3-day solo travel in Singapore went by. It is a bit scary at first, being all by myself in a foreign country, but I just tried to shake those feelings off and enjoyed every bits of the moment that I had for myself. Exploring places, trying different delicacies, making friends along the way and even discovering myself are some of the things that I can always treasure.

Hope to see you again next time! Au revoir!








You Might Also Like

0 Comments